The Pasadena Playhouse
is a historic performing arts venue located 39 S El Molino Avenue in Old Town Pasadena, California
. The 686-seat auditorium produces a variety of cultural and artistic events, professional shows, and community engagements each year.
Beginning around 1912, the period known as the Little Theatre Movement
developed in cities and towns across the United States
.Bryer, Jackson. ed. The Theatre We Worked For
. Yale University Press, New Haven and London, 1982. p. 9. ISBN 0-300-02583-1 The artistic community that founded the Pasadena Playhouse was started in 1916 when actor/director Gilmor Brown
began producing a series of plays at a renovated burlesque
theatre with his troupe "The Gilmore Brown Players". Brown established the Community Playhouse Association of Pasadena in 1917 that would later become the Pasadena Playhouse Association which necessitated a new venue for productions.
The community theatre
organization quickly grew and in May 1924, the citizens of Pasadena raised funds to build a new theatre in the city center at 39 South El Molino Avenue. Completed in 1925, the theater was designed in a Spanish Colonial Revival style
by Pasadena artist and architect Elmer Grey
Its non-professional, community beginnings and the tremendous amount of local support for the project led George Bernard Shaw
to dub Pasadena "the Athens
of the West," likening the... Read More