is a women's residence hall
(also known as a dormitory
) at Eastern Illinois University
, in Charleston, Illinois
. Located at the north end of EIU's campus, at the corner of 4th street and Lincoln Avenue, Pemberton Hall is as a historic landmark, due to its status as the oldest women's college residence hall in the state.
Construction of "Pem Hall", as the building is known to many students, was completed in 1909, when EIU
was still Eastern Illinois State Normal School
. The building was named for Illinois state senator Stanton C. Pemberton
, who was instrumental in getting funding for the building approved. The four-story building was designed for residency by approximately 100 female students, and included parlors, fireplaces, fourth floor maid's quarters, a matron
's apartment, and a dining room. A small gymnasium
for use by all students also was part of the original building.Although only female students lived in Pemberton Hall, and no students were required to live there, the building served as a center of many social functions for the college in its early years, since the first-floor parlor provided space for parties and meetings.
Today, Pemberton Hall has an old section (the portion of the building that dates from 1909) and a new section, built in the early 1960s. With the addition of the new section, Pem Hall now can house over 200 students, in single, double, and triple rooms. The former gym is now home to the... Read More