The land where the campus now exists was once a farm owned by the Hartenbach family. The family home still stands today and faces Brodhead Road. The farm’s barn once stood where the Brodhead Cultural Center’s amphitheater now stands.The main part of the campus’s grounds has served multiple purposes throughout the years. One of its main functions was as the Beaver County Tuberculosis Sanitorium, which opened on February 14, 1923. The building, which later served as the Penn State Beaver administration building from 1965 until 2004 when the Ross Administration Building was opened, held 20 beds and its primary physicians were Drs Fred and Ruth Wilson.
As tuberculosis cases began to decline in the Beaver County area the sanitorium was closed in the early 1950s.For a short time after this, the building was used as an annex for the Beaver County Geriatric Hospital before it was moved to its new location on Dutch Ridge Road in 1963.It was also around this time that that Hartenbach farm was sold to Pennsylvania State University with a contingent that Ralph Hartenbach and his wife could live in their house until their deaths.
The Beaver County Commissioners donated the old sanitorium and the land around it to Penn State.In the fall of 1965, Penn State Beaver admitted 97 students for its first semester. Each student paid $525 for two... Read More