Penn State Greater Allegheny
, commonly referred to as PSUGA, is a Commonwealth Campus
of the Pennsylvania State University
in McKeesport, Pennsylvania
. Formerly known as Penn State McKeesport
, the Penn State Board of Trustees initially voted to rename the campus to Penn State Greater Allegheny
during its September 2006 meeting.
As early as 1934, The Pennsylvania State College has offered technical courses in the Pittsburgh and McKeesport region to train industry workers for the booming technology and steel industries surrounding Pittsburgh. In 1948, the Penn State McKeesport Center opened in Dravosburg, offering courses in occupational training and self-enrichment for returning veterans. The center eventually moved to McKeesport in 1952 and established complete associate degree programs with the first graduates in 1955.
Also in 1955, a group of area businessmen formed the Penn State McKeesport Advisory Board whose purpose was to search for a permanent location for the McKeesport Center. In 1957, the current location was obtained and the Main building was constructed. Since then, Penn State Greater Allegheny continues to play a large role in education the population of the Greater Pittsburgh area.
A majority of the students are African American, making it one of the... Read More