The Schuylkill Campus was originally chartered in 1934 and was located in Pottsville, approximately 6 miles (10 km) north of the current campus. Classes were originally held in rented spaced, and laboratory facilities for science students were shared with an area high school. After World War II, the college began to grow, and in 1953, they began offering their first full associate degree programs. In the 1960s, the nearly 500 student body was outgrowing its Pottsville facilities, and the college looked to relocate. In 1967, they opened a new campus on a former farm.
Schyulkill briefly merged with the Harrisburg Campus from 1996 to 2005 in order to reduce costs and streamline operations. A new period of growth allowed the school to re-exert independence.