(also known as Newark Penn Station
) is a major transportation hub in Newark, New Jersey
. Located at Raymond Plaza, between Market Street and Raymond Boulevard
, Newark Penn Station is served by the Newark Light Rail
, New Jersey Transit
commuter rail, Amtrak
long distance trains, the PATH
rapid transit system, and local, regional and national bus services (NJ Transit, Greyhound, and other private operators).
Designed by the renowned architectural firm McKim, Mead and White
, the station is a mixture of Art Deco
. The interior of the main waiting room has medallions illustrating the history of transportation, from wagons to steamships to cars and airplanes, the eventual doom of the railroad age. The current building was dedicated on March 23, 1935; the first regular train to use it was a New York–Philadelphia
express at 10:17 on March 24. The new station was built alongside (northwest of) the old station, which was then demolished and replaced by the southeast half of the present station, completed in 1937. Except for the separate, underground Newark Light Rail station, tracks are elevated above street level.
It was built to be one of the centerpieces of the former Pennsylvania Railroad
's (PRR's) train network, and was a transfer point to the Hudson and Manhattan Railroad
), which was partially funded by the PRR, for travel to......