is a town in Victoria
. It is in the Shire of Southern Grampians
local government area and is located at the foot of Mount Rouse, an extinct volcano
. At the 2006 census
, Penshurst had a population of 461. Basic facilities include a hospital with an aged care residency and doctor's surgery, a pub
, a post office, a newsagent, a grocery store, a hall and two schools – one a state school
, the other a Catholic
school – the state school has approximately six children, the Catholic school about 30.
The town was settled in the 1850s, the Post Office opening on September 1, 1857
Penshurst is located in an area littered with basalt
stones up 2m long from the Mount Rouse volcano. These are know locally as the stony rises. The north east side of Mount Rouse is used as a quarry and crushed for road making scoria
There were instances in the 1970’s where bushfires
triggered peat fires beneath the stony rises which burnt for a number on months. A fire watch building is located at the top of Mount Rouse.
The Penshurst Volcanoes Discovery Centre is an interpretive centre and tourist information centre located in Martin Street in the old Shire of Mount Rouse
offices. It contains an audio/visual display of volcanoes in general, and the eruptions and lava flows of the district in particular.
Penshurst is serviced by a fresh... Read More