The Piccadilly line extension to Cockfosters
added eight new stations to the northern end of London Underground
's Piccadilly Line
. The extension through north London
from to was opened in three stages between 19 September 1932 and 31 July 1933.
When the Great Northern, Piccadilly and Brompton Railway
(GNP&BR, precursor of the Piccadilly Line) opened in December 1906, its northern terminus was at Finsbury Park where it had an interchange with the Great Northern Railway
(GNR) and the Great Northern & City Railway
(GN&CR). To obtain approval for the railway's construction, the GNP&BR had, like the GN&CR before it, had to accept a GNR veto over further extensions north in competition of latter's suburban passenger services from King's Cross
Very soon after the GNP&BR opened it was clear that the termination of the line in urban Finsbury Park
rather than further out of central London in more suburban Wood Green
had been a mistake. Passengers leaving the GNP&BR and the GN&CR at Finsbury Park preferred to transfer on to trams
for the continuation of their journeys, rather than use the GNR as it had hoped. This caused much inconvenience and congestion in and around the station at Finsbury Park.
Calls for a solution to the congestion at Finsbury Park were frequent almost from the GNP&BR's opening and after the First World War
the campaign for extending the line gathered strength. In 1921, the......