is a wide area of rolling hills beginning about 3 miles south of Circleville, Ohio
, and extending several miles to the north and south. This geological
area was formed sand and gravel deposited by melting water from the last glacier
to retreat from the region during the Ice Age
. During the time of inhabitation by the Shawnee
, the Pickaway Plains were covered by prairie vegetation, mainly grasses.
This area was inhabited most recently by the Shawnee, who founded at least two villages here:
- Cornstalk's Town was located on the north bank of the Scippo Creek in Pickaway County, Ohio. It was just east of the present U.S. Highway 23 highway and approximately where Gold Cliff Park is today. The town was named for Cornstalk, a Shawnee chief.
- Grenadier Squaw's Town was located opposite the Scippo Creek from Cornstalk's Town. The town was named for Cornstalk's sister Nonhelema, whom the British called the "Grenadier Squaw" because of her imposing stature.
In 1774, the Shawnee and allied nations sent around 300-500 men from the Pickaway Plains area to meet Lord Dunmore's
army of Virginia militia
. Lord Dunmore was attempting both to subdue the Shawnee and Mingo
, and to prevent Pennsylvania
from laying claim upon present-day Ohio
. This conflict became known as Dunmore's War
. At Point Pleasant, West Virginia
, Cornstalk and his army met a detachment of Dunmore's army under command of Colonel Andrew Lewis
The forces met on... Read More