Although the stone facade dates from 1602, the half-timbered building known colloquially as the Pied Piper’s House
is actually much older. The facade was built for Mayor Hermann Arendes by the architects Johann Hundertossen
and/or Eberhard Wilkening
in the style of the Renaissance
.<!-- Which picture? -->The older picture shows the adjacent “Street without Music” with a view of buildings that no longer stand today. The stone construction to the left also exists no more.
The bay window on the left is called the "Utlucht" which means "looking out" in low German. There was a highly decorated gable mounted here before 1850, parts of which may be seen at the lapidarium
The Pied Piper
’s House carries the name not because the Piper lived here, but because of an inscription on the side. This eyewitness account tells when, how many, and where the Hamelin
Children were underway on the 26th of June, anno 1284.
There are many works of art at the Pied Piper’s House. They are the private collection of the family and are secretly known as the “after hours” museum in Hameln. Woodcarvings, pictures, maps, large canvasses in oil, and much more can be seen in the rooms of the restaurant. There are even souvenirs to purchase.