is a ghost town
located in Uinta County, Wyoming
. It was once a thriving small railroad and timber town, but started to decline when Union Pacific
opened a new line that bypassed the town.
Piedmont is located at 41°13'4.04" North, 110°37'40.02" West (41.21779, -110.62778).
Many sources will provide other coordinates for this town, but they usually point to Ft. Bridger, Wyoming, which is the nearest city.
Piedmont, located southeast of Evanston
, was settled about 1867 to provide railroad ties
for the Union Pacific Railroad
. Moses Byrne built several kilns
here for producing charcoal
, and Charles Guild established one of the first ranches in the Territory. Both Byrne and Guild were Mormon
Originally, the area was named "Byrne
," but due to confusion with Bryan Station was renamed Piedmont. Both Byrne's wives, Anne Beus and Catherine Cardon, and Guild's wife, Marie Madeleine Cardon, were from small towns in the Torino
Province, part of the Piedmont
Region of northern Italy
. Moses' wife Anne Beus lived in Ogden, Utah
, and his other wife Catherine Cardon eventually ended up living in Piedmont, after first having spent time in the Utah towns of Ogden and Slaterville. Most historical sources that reference both 'Mrs. Byrne' and Piedmont are taken to be referring to Catherine Cardon. Catherine Cardon Byrne and Marie Madelaine Cardon Guild were sisters.
The Guild family joined the Byrne family in 1866 at the Muddy River......