is a town and comune
on the coast of northern Tuscany
, in the province of Lucca
. Pietrasanta is part of Versilia
, on the last foothills of the Apuan Alps
, about 32 km north of Pisa
. The town is located 3 km off the coast (where the frazione
of Marina di Pietrasanta is located).The Pietrasanta Marina, with golden sand and luxorios equipments is considered one of the best beaches of Italy.
The town has Roman
origins and part of the Roman wall still exists.
The medieval town was founded in 1255 upon the preexisting "Rocca di Sala" fortress of the Lombards
by Luca Guiscardo da Pietrasanta
, from whom it got its name. Pietrasanta was at its height a part of the Republic of Genoa
(1316–1328). The town is first mentioned in 1331 in records of Genoa, when it became a part of the Lucca
along with the river port of Motrone
, and was held until 1430. At that time it passed back to Genoa until 1484, when it was annexed to the Medici
held seigniory of Florence
In 1494, Charles VIII of France
took control of the town. It remained a Luccan town again until Pope Leo X
, a member of the Medici family, gave Pietrasanta back to his family.
The town suffered a long period of decline during the 17th and 18th centuries, partially due to malaria
. In 1841, Grand Duke Leopold II of Tuscany
promoted several reconstruction projects (including the building of schools specially created to teach carving skills, and the reopening of the once... Read More