is a 4th class municipality
in the province
. According to the 2007 census, it has a population of 21,095 people.
The fact that Pitogo is built on a promontory of rolling hills has a great rationale behind. Historical records show that this site was selected by the town’s founders in 1766 because its lofty elevation provided them with good look out points for the marauding vintas of Muslim pirates who were then threatening the safety of the natives.
In 1754, a band of Christian settlers led by Juan Mauricio founded the town farther inland, a few miles up the Mayubok River, (now Pinagbayanan), to be safe from Moro depredations. But despite this preacaution, the Moros came and raided the town. They came along the coastal town of Kalilayan (Tayabas).
Two years later, in 1756, Alejo Bautista became the next ruler. Again, the Moros remembering the place, visited Mayubok, burned the settlement and killed many of its inhabitants. Due to so much fright, the people placed the biggest church bell in a banca but the banca capsized at Aasnan. Expert divers tried to recover the historic bell but their toil remained futile and all in vain.
The survivors built another settlement in 1760 along the banks of Cawayanin River under Bernabe Rafael. Likewise, this community was destroyed by the Moros. St. Paul (the patron saint) was lost. He was found in a nearby barrio. The people stayed for a short time in the said barrio naming it “Adia” meaning... Read More