is a Grade II* listed house built in the neo-classical style and is located within the Parish of Tillington
a couple of miles west of Petworth
. Begun by William Mitford in 1760 on the site of an earlier house it was completed by his son, also William, in 1794. It is considered to be one of the most important country houses in West Sussex
The rectangular house of two stories with an attic and basement has a main east facing façade built in 1760 to a design by John Upton
, the Petworth Estate surveyor. It is built in limestone ashlar
ground floor and a balustraded parapet over the side portions.
The remaining elevations are brick and render decorated to match the east front and were constructed in the 1790s to plans influenced but not completed by Sir John Soane
. Further substantial works were carried out to the house in the 1830s as well as the later Nineteenth Century additions of a veranda and conservatory, these being removed in the 1950s leaving a classical style rectangular building.
The main house is augmented by two nineteenth century lodges, an 1840s stable block, a shell house and an ice house, both probably late eighteenth century and a late nineteenth century tower – all Grade II listed and standing within a Grade II park listed by English Heritage
A public bridleway
and public footpath
through the park... Read More