The Plaza de Toros
("bullring") in Ronda
is one of the oldest operational bullrings
. The arena has a diameter
of , surrounded by a passage formed by two rings of stone. There are two layers of seating, each with five raised rows and 136 pillars
that make up 68 arches
. The Royal Box has a sloping roof
covered in Arabic tiles.
Construction of the bullring started in 1779 and finished in 1785. It stands on the west edge of Ronda, about two blocks from Puente Nuevo
and the El Tajo
canyon. The design is attributed to the architect Martín de Aldehuela
Soon after the ring's creation in the 18th century, the Romero family of Ronda emerged to provide over three generations of bullfighters
. The most important of them was Pedro Romero
(1754-1839), a key figure in the history of bullfighting who slew more than 5,600 bulls
. The Romero
families were known for their great bullfights in the Plaza, and a statue of Cayetano Ordóñez
stands outside one of the entrances to the bullring.this building can hold almost 1,250 spectators at any given time.
Because of its rural location and the small size of the surrounding town of Ronda
, this bullring does not host as many bullfights as other, larger venues: Seville
for example. The bullring in Ronda is open to the public, charging a small admission fee.
The bullring also... Read More