The Pleasanton Public Library
serves the city of Pleasanton
in Alameda County
. The library is located near downtown Pleasanton at 400 Old Bernal Avenue.
The Pleasanton Women's Improvement Club was formed in 1908 to improve the community of Pleasanton, an agricultural town located in the "Tri-Valley" area
east of San Francisco
. Their first project was to establish a reading room. With $1,100 they raised at an "Old Maid's Convention" and other fundraisers, they purchased a site to house the Reading Room. In 1909, it was opened to the public. Books were donated and a librarian was hired for $10 per month. Honored guests for the formal opening were Mrs. Phoebe Apperson Hearst
and her guest, the Consul of Persia
. After Pleasanton's first city hall (now the Museum on Main Street) was built in 1915, the city leased a portion of it to the club for $1 per year to house the library and reading room.
The library has grown to keep pace with Pleasanton as it changed from an agricultural town to a suburban residential community and one of the modern business centers of the East Bay
area. In 1964, the library became a full member of the Alameda County Library
system. In 1973, the need for growth led the library to a new facility on Black Avenue, with approximately 35,000 books. In 1987, the city recognized the need for an even larger library and began construction on the current facility, which opened in 1988.
In 1999, in... Read More