Point Pleasant Junior/Senior High School
is located in Point Pleasant, West Virginia
. It is located in Mason County
and is the largest high school in the county.
On December 19, 1794 the General Assembly of Virginia enacted that “ of land, the property of Thomas Lewis (a part of the General Andrew Lewis Grant) at the mouth of the Great Kanawha River in the said County of Kanawha, as they are already laid off into lots and streets, shall be established a town by the name of Point Pleasant, and Leonard Cooper, John Van Bibber, Isaac Tyler, William Owens, William Allyn, John Reynolds, Allen Prior, George Clendenin, and William Morris, gentlemen, appointed trustees thereof.”
When the town was laid off at the junction of the Ohio and Great Kanawha Rivers, a lot was given by Thomas Lewis as a site for a school building. On this lot, the present location of Langston school which was formerly only for African-American children, a small log building was erected as a school building and a church. A frame building replaced this at a later date. In 1848 funds were raised by subscription among the citizens of the town to build a better school on the same lot.
This movement resulted in a brick structure of two rooms, to which two more were later added. In 1865 when the public school system was established in West Virginia this subscription school became one of the district schools of Mason County. By an act of the Legislature dated February 24, 1887, the Independent... Read More