The Polynesian Cultural Center
(PCC) is a Polynesian-themed theme park
or living museum
located in Laie
, on the northern shore of Oahu
. Dedicated on October 12, 1963, the PCC occupies owned by nearby Brigham Young University–Hawaii
Within eight simulated tropical villages, performers demonstrate various arts and crafts from throughout Polynesia
. Visitors may also take a free shuttle to tour the university and see the Laie Hawaii Temple
visitor center of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
(LDS Church), the church that owns BYU–H and the PCC.
Seventy percent of of the center's approximately 1300 employees are students at BYU-Hawaii. Although it is largely a commercial venture, PCC profits fund various BYU–H scholarship
programs run by BYU–Hawaii. Students work up to 20 hours per week during school terms and 40 hours during breaks, many graduating debt-free.
The center was opened in 1963 as a way to provide employment and scholarships for students at BYU-Hawai and also to preserve the cultures of Polynesia. It has its roots in 1940s and 1950s hukilau
beach gatherings to earn money to rebuild a local chapel belonging to the LDS Church, which had been destroyed in a fire. "The Hukilau Song
," made famous by Alfred Apaka
, was written following the composer and song's original singer, Jack Owens
's visit to Lāie's hukilau.
The PCC is one... Read More