thumb|The Port Adelaide Uniting Church in 2005.
The Port Adelaide Uniting Church
is located in the western suburbs of Adelaide
, South Australia
. It is an active church, with worship and prayer services each week, a playgroup
, a youth group and seniors' activities.
The life of the church congregation began in 1849, when a group of Christians
from various denominations, who had been meeting informally in a sail loft in Port Adelaide
, formed themselves into the 'Congregational
Church of Port Adelaide'. The services were led by Rev. Matthew Hodge who was asked to cut-short his journey to Victoria (from England) and stay in South Australia instead. His first service was held on 30 September 1849 in the sail loft, but later that year a small stone church was built on the corner of St Vincent and Lipson St (Couper-Smartt, 2003:375)
The congregation met in three different buildings before the present church was built between 1867-1868. It was reported that this early community, “fostered such an ecumenical spirit that there are even reports of Jews attending its meetings in Port Adelaide” (Couper-Smartt, 2003:375).
In 1978 the church became part of the Uniting Church of Australia
The church building
The church was designed by James Macgeorge and is built from Dry Creek
sandstone with very elaborate brickwork. Macgeorge’s design included a tower and spire but these were never built. The church is now heritage listed by the National Trust of Australia
The interior... Read More