(, , , ) is the largest town and a municipal council
in Andaman district
in the Andaman Islands
and the capital of the Andaman and Nicobar Islands
, a union territory
. It lies on the east coast of South Andaman Island
and is the main entry point to the islands.
Port Blair is the headquarters for the Indian district
of South Andaman
, and the local administrative sub-division (tehsil
), which is also called Port Blair
. It is home to several museums and a major base for the Indian Navy and the Indian Coast Guard
. It is also the headquarters of the Tri Services Command.
In 1789 the government of Bengal established a penal colony on Chatham Island in the southeast bay of Great Andaman, named Port Blair to honor Lieutenant Archibald Blair
of the British East India Company
. After two years, the colony moved to the northeast part of Great Andaman and was named Port Cornwallis after Admiral William Cornwallis
. However, there was much disease and death in the penal colony, and the government ceased operating it in May 1796.
In 1824 Port Cornwallis was the rendezvous of the fleet carrying the army to the First Anglo-Burmese War
. In the 1830s and 1840s, shipwrecked crews who landed on the Andamans were often attacked and killed by the natives, alarming the British government. In 1855, the government proposed another settlement on the islands, including a convict establishment, but the Indian Rebellion of 1857
forced a delay in its construction.
However, since... Read More