is a town
of the Province of Naples
in the Campania
region of southern Italy
. It is the site of the Portici Royal Palace
Portici lies at the foot of Mount Vesuvius
on the Bay of Naples
, about 8 km (5 miles) southeast of Naples itself. There is a small port
. To the south east is Ercolano
, formerly Resina, which occupies the site of ancient Herculaneum
. San Giorgio a Cremano
is another town nearby.
The city was completely destroyed by the Eruption
of Vesuvius in 1631, but was rebuilt. Charles III of Spain
, King of Naples and Sicily, built a royal palace in the town
between 1738-1748. After Garibaldi defeated
the Bourbons in 1860, the palace was turned into the Portici botanic gardens
and the Royal Higher School of Agriculture. It once contained the antiquities from Herculaneum, which have since been moved to Naples.
The inhabitants were historically engaged in fishing
-growing and silk-weaving
up tp the beginning of the 20th century. Later a more diversified economy emerged, with industry and trade as main pillars.
Vincenzo Cuomo is the mayor. In 2009, he banned shops from displaying Christmas decorations because shopkeepers were the subject to extortion to buy Camorra (mob) sold decorations.
Boeing is opening a research centre for... Read More