The Portland Club
is a building at 156 State Street (The Hunnewell-Shepley Mansion) in Portland, Maine
. It was built in 1805, with later updates to the mansion by John Calvin Stevens
(1855–1924). The mansion is now home to the historical Portland Club. The mansion was designed by Alexander Parris
, a Boston architect who, under the direction of Joseph Ingraham, helped to define much of Portland's skyline with his beautiful structures.
The Portland Club holds many meetings of social
interest. The mansion itself is home to many paintings
that are original to the club, along with over 12 antique mahogany pool
tables on the second floor. The Portland Club has a history of being on the top for all of the social events in Portland, as well as having the history of being one of the first clubs to bring women
into the organization as The Woman's Portland Club.
The Portland Club began in 1886 as Fred N. Dow and a group of influential friends decided to organize their informal gatherings into a club. The men's purpose was to "discuss current events," and though never part of the by-laws, to promote the Republican party agenda. Because Republicans controlled Maine's government, the club was widely recognized as the de facto seat of political power for decades. The club acquired the mansion in 1924 and has been the home of The Portland Club ever since.
The Club currently hosts seasonal dinner meetings with lectures, brunches, and various social... Read More