( - meaning 'beautiful harbour') is an area stretching westwards from South Richmond Street as far as Upper Clanbrassil Street
bordered on the north by the South Circular Road
and on the south by the Grand Canal
Portobello came into existence as a small suburb south of the city of Dublin in the 18th century, centred around Richmond St. During the following century it was completely developed, transforming an area of private estates and farmland into solid Victorian
red-bricked living quarters for the middle classes (on the larger streets), and terraced housing bordering the canal for the working classes.
As a fast-expanding suburb during the 19th century Portobello attracted many upwardly-mobile families whose members went on to play important roles in politics, the arts and the sciences. Towards the end of the century came an influx of Jews, refugees from pogroms in Eastern Europe, which gave the name "Little Jerusalem" to the area.
It is in the postal district
of Dublin 8
. It is in the local government electoral area of Dublin South-East Inner City
and the Dáil
Constituency of Dublin South-East
The name Portobello describes the stretch of the Grand Canal
leading from Robert Emmet Bridge (Clanbrassil Street) to the bridge from South Richmond Street to Rathmines
. Although usually referred to as Portobello Bridge, the correct name is La Touche Bridge (named after William Digges La Touche (1747–1803), scion of a prominent Dublin... Read More