Post Office Square
(est.1874) in Boston
is located in the financial district
at the intersection of Milk
, Pearl and Water Streets. now replaced by the John W. McCormack Post Office and Court House.
As of 2009 the square is almost entirely occupied by a privately-owned and -managed but publicly-accessible park, Norman B. Leventhal Park, named for the Boston building manager and designer
who designed it. It sits above a parking garage, named "The Garage at Post Office Square." The garage lies 80 ft (24 m) below the surface, the deepest point of excavation in the city. Revenues from parking fund the maintenance of the park. The 1.7-acre (6,900 m²) park is a popular lunchtime destination for area workers. It features a cafe
, fountains, and a pergola
around a central lawn, and the management provides seat cushions for visitors during the summer. Designed by landscape architects , the park is also home to "125 species of plants."
Also on the square is the New England Telephone
Building, where the laboratory in which the first telephone
was built has been reconstructed.Harvard University
reached an agreement with the... Read More