(born 13 September 1932) is a well-known personality in the field of Indian music.
Prabha was born to Abasaheb and Indirabai Atre in Pune
. As children, Prabha and her sister, Usha, were interested in music, but neither of them planned to pursue music as a career. When Prabha was eight, Indirabai was not keeping good health, and at a friend's suggestion that classical music lessons would help her feel better, she took a few lessons. Listening to those lessons inspired Prabha to learn classical music.
Prabha learned classical music first from Pandit Sureshbabu Mane
, and after his demise in 1952, from Smt. Hirabai Badodekar
. Both Sureshbabu and Hirabai were children and disciples of Ustad Abdul Karim Khan
. While studying under Hirabai, Prabha accompanied her on her musical concert tours in different parts of India.
While studying music, Prabha finished college courses in science and law to receive degrees in both of those disciplines. She later also earned a Ph.D. in music. Her doctoral thesis was titled Sargam
, and pertained to the use of sol-fa
notes in Indian classical music.
Academic and musical qualifications
- Bachelor of Science : Ferguson College, University of Pune.
- Bachelor of Law : Law College, University of Pune.
- Sangeet Alankar (Master of Music) : Gandharva Mahavidyalaya Mandal .
- Doctor of Music - research on Sargam .
- Western Music Theory Grade-IV : Trinity College of Music, London .
- Training in North Indian Classical Vocal Music: Traditional......