El Presidio de Sonoma
, or Sonoma Barracks
, was a military outpost established in Alta California
in 1836. It was built to house troops under General Mariano Guadalupe Vallejo
, the Commandant of the Northern Frontier, as part of Mexico
's strategy to subdue the Native Americans
of the Sonoma Valley
and halt Russian
incursions into the area.
The structure still stands at its original location () which is now the corner of Spain Street and First Street East, on the Sonoma Plaza
in the city of Sonoma, California
, United States
. The building is located in the watershed
of Nathanson Creek, which drains to Schell Creek.
The two-story adobe
structure was built in stages between 1834 and 1841. Vallejo maintained a garrison of up to 40 men at the Presidio. During the California Republic
of 1846, the Presidio was occupied by Bear Flag rebels, and afterwards it became a United States Army
base. The building was remodelled in 1860 for use as a winery. It later served as a residence, a law office, and a store. The state of California
purchased the property in 1958 and began restoring it.
The installation, now part of the Sonoma State Historic Park
, is open to visitors and has a small museum. A replica of California's original "Bear Flag
" hangs on display there.
The building is listed as California Historical Landmark