(popularly known simply as Priestfield
and officially known from 2007 to 2010 as KRBS Priestfield Stadium
and from 2011 as MEMS Priestfield Stadium
for sponsorship purposes) is a football stadium
. It has been the home of Gillingham Football Club
since the club's formation in 1893, and was also the temporary home of Brighton & Hove Albion Football Club
for two seasons during the 1990s. The stadium has also hosted women's and youth international matches.
The stadium underwent extensive redevelopment during the late 1990s, which has brought its capacity down from nearly 20,000 to a current figure of 11,582. It has four all-seater
stands, all constructed since 1997, although one is only of a temporary nature. There are also conference and banqueting facilities and a nightspot named the Blues Rock Café. Despite having invested heavily in its current stadium, Gillingham F.C. has plans to relocate to a new stadium.
New Brompton Football Club, the forerunner of Gillingham Football Club, formed in June 1893. At the same time an area of land in Gillingham was acquired by the club's founders, the purchase being funded through an issue of 1,500 £1 shares. although... Read More