PWC traces its history to 1804 when land was set aside by Lieutenant-GovernorEdmund Fanning for a college - the colony's first. In 1821 a district school called the National School opened on the site located on Kent Street in the east end of Charlottetown. In 1835 Central Academy opened on a site along Grafton Street, immediately south of the National School. The National School closed in the early 1850s and the provincial Normal School for training teachers opened on the site in 1856. In 1860, an upgraded Central Academy was renamed Prince of Wales College.
In 1879, PWC became co-educational and the Normal School was merged into the institution.PWC's Grafton Street campus underwent several changes as buildings evolved from wooden structures into the stone structures which stand today. PWC was a non-denominational or inter-denominational college... Read More