The Provincial Assembly of the Sindh
is a unicameral
house of elected representatives of people of Sindh
established under Article 106 of the Constitution of the Islamic Republic of Pakistan
. Under this article, the total number of seats for the Assembly through direct vote is 168, of which 30 seats are reserved for women and 8 seats for non-Muslims.
In 1843, Sindh was conquered by the British commander General Sir Charles Napier
in 1843. He joined Sindh with Bengal, but at first it was a separate state. In 1847, Sindh lost its separate identity and status as a State and became a Commissionerate of British India
's Bombay Presidency
, being controlled by a Commissioner.
In 1890, after the Minto reforms, Sindh gained representation for the first time in the Bombay Legislative Assembly, with four members representing it. From that time, a movement to separate Sindh from the Bombay Presidency was established, and in 1935, after a long struggle, a new chapter in the history of Sindh opened. Under Section 40(3) of Government of India Act 1935
, Sindh was separated from the Bombay presidency with effect from 1 April, 1936. With the introduction by the same Act of Provincial Autonomy, the newly created Province of Sindh secured a Legislative Assembly of its own, consisting of sixty members, who were elected on the basis of communal representation and weight age to the minority community.
Sir Lancelot Graham
was appointed as the first Governor of Sindh by the British... Read More