The Provo Utah Temple
(formerly the Provo Temple
) is the 17th constructed and 15th operating temple
of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
. Located in the city of Provo
it was built with a modern single-spire design very similar in design to the Ogden Utah Temple
Since Provo’s early years, a hill just northeast of downtown Provo was known as “Temple Hill.” Instead of a temple, however, the Maeser Building was built on the hill in 1911 as a part of the Brigham Young University
campus. A block of property at the base of Rock Canyon was chosen as the site for the Provo Temple.
The LDS temple in Provo was announced on August 14, 1967, and a groundbreaking ceremony was held on September 15, 1969 with construction beginning soon thereafter. Emil B. Fetzer
, the architect for the Ogden and Provo temples, was asked to create a functional design with efficiency, convenience, and reasonable cost as key factors.
The temple was dedicated on February 9, 1972 by Church President Joseph Fielding Smith
. The two dedicatory services were broadcast to several large auditoriums on Brigham Young University campus, including the 22,700-seat Marriott Center
. The temple has 6 ordinance rooms and 12 sealing rooms, and has a total floor area of . Thirty-one years after the temple's completion, a statue of the Angel Moroni
was added to the spire, which itself was changed from gold to white. The temple interior included escalators
for many years, but those have since been... Read More