The Pennsylvania Railroad
's class P5
comprised 92 mixed-traffic electric locomotives
constructed 1931–1935 by the PRR, Westinghouse
and General Electric
.Although the original intention was that they work many passenger trains, the success of the GG1
locomotives meant that the P5 class were mostly used on freight. A single survivor, prototype #4700, is at the Museum of Transportation
in St Louis, Missouri
They had a wheel arrangement
in the Whyte notation
, or 2'Co2' in the UIC classification
system — three pairs of driven wheels rigidly mounted to the locomotive, with a two-axle unpowered truck
at each end.
The first P5s were built with box cabs
. A grade crossing accident in which the crew were killed led to the substitution of a streamlined steeple type cab in later production, a design which was also applied to the GG1.
When the GG1s were put in passenger service, the P5s were regeared and used in freight service for many years. The last of the class was withdrawn from service in April 1965.
Two prototype locomotives were outshopped from the PRR's Altoona Works in 1931. They were essentially the PRR's 2-B-2 O1 design
lengthened by adding another pair... Read More