The Pudu Prison
was a prison in Kuala Lumpur
. Built in phases by the British colonial government between 1891 and 1895, it was located along Jalan Hang Tuah
. The cells were small and dark, each equipped with a window only the size of a shoebox.
Pudu Prison, or better known as Pudu Jail, was built on the site of a former Chinese burial ground. Pudu was by then a dense jungle area, with tigers occasionally roaming around. Construction began in 1891, using convicts as workforce. It took about four years and was finally complete in 1895.
A few months after its completion, in August 1895, a cholera
plague struck the prison complex, killing a few hundred inmates. Later, it was known that the plague was caused by the prison's water supply system. By then, the prison complex's water supply relied on an old well once belonged to the Chinese cemetery that previously stood on the prison's site. An inspection by the British colonial authorities revealed that the water in the well was severely contaminated by deadly viruses. Subsequently, the water problem was not fixed until 1898.
Circa 1911, Richard Alfred Ernest Clark, a former soldier of the third battalion of the Middlesex Regiment
, was one of the European... Read More