, also known within the urban planning
community as the Puerto Madero Waterfront
, is a barrio
(district) of the Argentine
capital at Buenos Aires CBD
, occupying a significant portion of the Río de la Plata
riverbank and representing the latest architectural trends in the city of Buenos Aires
From its inception, the city of Buenos Aires had a problem accommodating large cargo ships because the shallow river did not allow for direct docking. Instead ships were moored away from the shore and passengers and merchandise were unloaded onto barges and ferries for transport to the pier.
In 1882 the national government contracted the local businessman Eduardo Madero
to take charge of the construction of a new port
which would solve these problems. Madero's project, designed by British
engineer Sir John Hawkshaw
, was chosen from among numerous others.
Construction began in 1887 and was completed in 1897, although the installed fittings had been partially operative some years before completion of the port. It was a costly project and although an engineering landmark at the time, ten years after its completion the appearance of larger cargo ships made Puerto Madero obsolete.
The government had to then face the construction of a new port, this time contracting engineer Luis Huergo
, whose plans for a port of staggered docks which would open directly onto the river
was among those rejected in the 1880s. His plans resulted in the "Puerto... Read More