In 1872, Quantico was the original northern terminus for the Richmond, Fredericksbug and Potomac Railroad. The station also included a freight station on the opposite side of the tracks. Acquisition of the Washington Southern Railroad helped expand the line into Washington, D.C.. In 1919, a two story railroad station was built to replace the original station, but as the USMC base began to encroach on the area, RF&P was ordered to rebuild the station in 1953 in order to conform to similar design standards of the base. RF&P ceased passenger operations in 1971 and the station has been used by Amtrak ever since then. The Virginia Railway Express established the Fredericksburg Line in 1992, and Quantico became one of the stations used along the line.