The Queen Elizabeth II Conference Centre
is a conference centre
in the City of Westminster
. It is located in the heart of the city, a minute's walk from the Palace of Westminster
, seat of the United Kingdom
. Due to its location it attracts many high profile meetings.
The site now occupied by the Queen Elizabeth II Conference Centre was previously occupied by several buildings. At the northern end of the site were the headquarters of the Stationery Office
which had originally been the "Parliamentary Mews" built in 1825 by Decimus Burton
and converted in 1853-5. The southern side was occupied by the Westminster Hospital built by W & H W Inwood in 1831-4 and expanded later that century and in 1924. The previous buildings became surplus to requirements in 1950 and were demolished; designs were drawn up by Thomas Tait for building a new Colonial Office
on the site; however only the foundations had been built by the time progress was halted in 1952.Simon Bradley and Nikolaus Pevsner
, "London 6: Westminster" (The Buildings of England), Yale University Press, 2003, p. 272-3.
In 1958 it was decided that there would be an open space on the southern edge of the site by Broad Sanctuary, and an architectural competition for a conference hall and government offices was held in 1961. The competition was won by William Whitfield but the scheme was not progressed due to the plans... Read More