The Queen's Club
is a private sporting club in West Kensington
, London, England. Founded in 1886, the Queen's Club was the world's first multipurpose sports complex and named after Queen Victoria
, its first patron. The club hosts the prestigious annual Queen's Club Championships grass court
men's lawn tennis
tournament (currently known as the AEGON
Championships for sponsorship reasons). It has 28 outdoor courts and eight indoor. With two courts, it is also the national headquarters of real tennis
, hosting the British Open every year. The Queen's Club also has rackets
, and squash
courts, of which it now has become the headquarters for these sports due to the Prince's Club
closure in 1940.
It was also the jeu de paume
) venue of the 1908 Summer Olympics
Until 1922, the club was the main ground for the football
games of Corinthian F.C.
One international was held, England
drawing 1–1 with Wales
on 18 March 1895.
On 13 September 2005, the Lawn Tennis Association
, the governing body of British lawn tennis, which had owned Queen's since 1953, put the club up for sale. The terms required that the rackets club and the Queen's Club Championships remain unaffected (the site's value for residential or commercial redevelopment might greatly exceed its value as a sports club, in the event that planning permission could be obtained, and the LTA wished to preserve the club's role in British tennis). On 8 March 2006, the LTA announced that it... Read More