is the top secondary school
;Situated at the South-Easterly Junction of Camp Street and Thomas Lands. Alumni can enter the school through the Secondary School Entrance Examination (SSEE) and at the Lower 6th Form Level if the academic performance of the student is satisfactory. The school strives to maintain high standards with emphasis being placed on the all round development of the students.
Queens' College was the number three secondary school in Guyana when it was first established as an all boys school. However, it quickly rose to be the number one secondary school in the country, a position that it still retains today. In 1951, a history of the school was published by Senior Master, N.E. Cameron N.E. Cameron
. It was updated and re-published in 2009 by the QC Alumni Association in Toronto .
Queen's College was established in 1844 as the Queen's College Grammar School for boys by William Percy Austin, D.D., Bishop of the Anglican diocese of then British Guiana. The female equivalent was the Bishops' High School
The first assembly was held on 5 August 1844 with an enrollment of fifteen boys. Although the school started out as an Anglican church School, Bishop Austin was interested in making it a more broad-based institution to include non-Anglicans. Its first administration, however, consisted only of members of the Church of England.
Formal classes commenced on 15 August 1844 in the Old Colony House (situated in the compound of what is... Read More