Queen Victoria School
was opened on 28 September 1908 by His Majesty King Edward VII, and is Scotland
's Ministry of Defence
school for the sons and daughters of Scottish soldiers
. It occupies a fine Scottish baronial
style building on a campus
just outside of Dunblane
in rural Stirling
The idea of the school was originally proposed to Queen Victoria
as a memorial to the Scottish dead of the Boer Wars
, and after her death it was thought fit to name it in her memory. Money was also raised from Scottish servicemen and the people of Scotland to complete the project.
The school's patron is His Royal Highness The Duke of Edinburgh
KG KT OM GBE, and the head of school is Mrs W A Bellars MA(Hons) DipEd MA(Ed Man) PGCE.
Traditionally the school provided an austere but continuous education for Scottish war orphans
, with a good deal of military training and sports. Since the Second World War, the school has provided a stable education to children whose fathers have been travelling the world in Her Majesty's Armed Forces. Since the 1970s the school has become increasingly "secular", with educational results now matching most of the nearby boarding schools. The school is financed from the Ministry of Defence budget, with parents being asked to make a small contribution.
It became co-educational at the start of the 1996-97 academic year. Female pupils were introduced across the entire school, from Primary Seven to Sixth Year. The first female senior monitor was... Read More