is an electoral ward
and area in Bedford
. The areas borders are approximately Bromham
Road and Beverley Crescent to the north, the Midland Main Line
railway line to the east, and the River Great Ouse
to the south.
Queens Park is a very diverse and multicultural area. This is reflected in the many specialist shops and businesses located in the community, including many international supermarkets
. There are also a varied number of places of worship, including an Anglican
church, two mosques
and the largest Sikh temple
in the UK outside London.
The land in Queens Park was farmed as early as the 11th Century, and occupied by tenant farmers. The only evidence of primitive settlements is the discovery of flint at Honey Hills. Early settlements and dwellings included; Provendor Farm, Prebend Farm, and the Farm House & cottages at Bedford Ford End (until the 1950s) now Fernleigh Close. Gallows
existed up to 1802 at the sharp bend on the Bromham Road.NJ Greenaway, Some notes on the history of Queens Park
In 1890 W.H.Allen from London brought twenty acres of land west of Bedford town centre to establish his 'Queens Engineering Works', and housing for his employees. The works (opened in 1894) and the new community were named in honour of the queen of the day, Queen Victoria
.http://www.bedford.gov.uk/leisure_and_culture/local_history_and_heritage/brief_history_of_bedford.aspx 'History of... Read More