is a village in the county of Leicestershire
, United Kingdom
just north of Syston
and to the north of Leicester
with 972 properties in the village and 1,878 registered electors (2003). Due to its proximity to Leicester it forms part of the Leicester Urban Area
. It is particularly famous for its Parish church
(St Mary's) of which Pevsner said "It has one of the finest spires in the whole of Leicestershire".
The old part of the village (Main Street) has thatched properties going back 500 years. There is a mixture of 16th - 20th century properties all abutting the Main Street. However, there are very few 20th century properties, the majority being 16th to 19th century.
Queniborough up until the first world war
still had a Lord of the Manor living at Queniborough Hall. (Now converted into expensive flats). Up until 1847, there was no school in the village open to ordinary villagers. The only school in the village was in a small building to the rear of number 28 Main Street. However, this was only for the children whose parents worked on the estate of Queniborough Hall. Numbers 22 - 28 Main Street were built between 1790 and 1810 specifically as worker's cottages. Number 28 was lived in by the schoolmaster. This row of cottages are still occupied and the 'Old' village school is still part of number 28 but is now used as a vaulted dining room with a high cathedral style ceiling
In 1847 the 'new school' was built to the side of the Horse... Read More