It is situated north-east of the town of Thetford and south-west of the city of Norwich.Ordnance Survey (1999). OS Explorer Map 230 - Diss & Harleston. ISBN 0-319-21862-7.
The place-name 'Quidenham' is first attested in the Domesday Book of 1086, where it appears as 'Cuidenham', and means 'Cwida's ham or village'. The name 'Cwida' corresponds to the Old High German name 'Quito'.Eilert Ekwall, Concise Oxford Dictionary of English Place-names, p.377.