is a historic building near Faneuil Hall
in downtown Boston, Massachusetts
. It was constructed 1824–1826 and named in honor of Mayor Josiah Quincy
, who organized its construction without any tax or debt.
By the time Boston was incorporated as a city in 1822, downtown commercial demand grew beyond the capacity of Faneuil Hall
. To provide an expansion of shop space, Quincy Market was built, as an indoor pavilion of vendor stalls.
Designed by Alexander Parris
, the building was built immediately east of and "behind" Faneuil Hall, which at the time sat next to the waterfront. Thus Quincy Market was at harbor's edge at the town dock. In an early example of Boston's tendency for territorial growth via landfill
, part of the harbor was filled in with dirt to provide a plot of land for the market. The commercial growth spawned by the new marketplace led to the reconstruction or addition of six city streets.
From its beginning, the Market was largely used as a produce and foodstuff shopping center, with various grocers of such goods as eggs, cheese, and bread lining its inside walls. Digging performed for expansion of the market in the late 1970s uncovered evidence of animal bones, suggesting that butchering work was done on-site. In addition, street vendors took up space outside the building in its plazas and against its outside walls. Some surviving signs of early food and supplies merchants hang today in the upstairs seating... Read More