is a municipality
in the district of Leventina
in the canton
A grave from the early Iron Age
has been found in the valley. The modern municipality of Quinto is first mentioned in 1227. The old Vicinanza
, whose statutes were first written in 1408, consisted of numerous degagne
. They owned alpine pastures, particularly on the Alp Piora, and the rights to provide donkeys
for freight transport over the passes.
Quinto originally belonged to the parish
, but had already separated into an independent parish before the 12th Century. The parish church
of SS Peter and Paul was first mentioned in 1227, but dates from the 8th-9th Century. The original romanesque
building was extended several times and completely rebuilt in 1681.
The local economy was dominated by agriculture, forestry, animal husbandry and dairy farming. In 1896, the first dairy cooperative opened in the village. The commissioning of the Gotthard Railway
in 1882, the 1910 drainage project and the 1982-83 construction of the A2 motorway
led to the economic growth and development of Quinto.
The now decommissioned Cantonal Sanatorium in Piotta, was in operation from 1905-62. The military airfield in Ambrì operated between 1940-94. In 1920, Lago Ritom
power station for the Swiss Federal Railways
came online. A steep funicular
railway goes up the mountainside to the lake and... Read More