The former Royal Air Force Station Butzweilerhof
, commonly known as RAF Butzweilerhof
was a Royal Air Force airbase
situated in the northern suburbs of Cologne
). The station’s motto
was Per Vires Pax
, and the station crest depicts the Cologne cathedral rising above the waters.
History and the RAF
Butzweilerhof was originally the main civil airport for Köln, but was taken over by the RAF sometime during August 1951. RAF aircraft ceased flying in 1965, and the RAF formally left Butzweilerhof, closing down the station on 27 January 1967. The few civilian employees remaining at the beginning of 1967 were required to leave by the end of the month of January, and on 31 January 1967, Butzweilerhof airfield was officially handed over to the Bundeswehr
In 1960 it was the base for 5 Signals Wing, The Band of RAF Germany
and 420 Recovery & Salvage Squadron.
Butzweilerhof squadrons & aircraft
A very small part of the old airfield was used by the Bundeswehr up until December 30th, 2007 after which the Butzweilerkaserne was closed and turned into a mixed retail/residential area. The rest of the land was re-developed into film studios (MMC) between 1998 and 1999. On the film studio lot, a renovated hangar still bears the inscription of the Belgian Army
who were stationed at Butzweiler
. The remaining land has now... Read More