is a former United States Army Air Force
station in England. It is located just to the northeast of the village of Raydon
, about 6 miles from Ipswich
on the B1070 in Suffolk
RAF Raydon was built by the 833rd and 867th Engineer (Av.) Battalions of the United States Army Corps of Engineers
during 1942/43. The base was built to the standard, Class-A bomber design airfield, consisting of three intersecting concrete runways, numerous dispersal points and two T-2 type hangars. Accommodations were built to the southeast of the airfield to house about 3,000 men. Locals remember the village street being constantly full of trucks on the move. The road was not hard surfaced and quickly became a sea of mud so deep that the house fronts were completely covered in it.
Farms and houses were requisitioned and dynamited, changing the look of the village forever. Raydon was one of the last airfields of its type to be constructed in the war.
While under construction, a battle-damaged B-17 Flying Fortress
crash-landed into the unfinished main runway.
A siding was built from the Hadleigh line into Raydon Wood. This siding, along with Raydon Station provided access to the airfield for supplies. Even whole, dissasembled aircraft were delivered to the base via the railway. In Raydon Wood there are still the original platforms along with a few remains of some buildings.
Raydon was primarily a fighter base for the Eighth
USAAF. During World War II it was... Read More