RAF Snetterton Heath
is a former World War II airfield in England. The field is located on the A11
, 6 miles SW of Attleborough
Snetterton Heath airfield was constructed by Taylor Woodrow
Ltd., in 1942 at a cost of £950,000 to Class-A specifications. The main runway was 6,000 feet long with two secondaries of 4,200 feet each. Originally thirty-six hardstands of the "frying pan" type were constructed as when work started, the base was intended for RAF
use. When re-scheduled for the USAAF
, the number was increased to fifty, all of them being on the south and eastern side of the airfield as a railway line and the A11 road restricted dispersed locations. Total area of concrete laid in its construction was 530,000 square yards with storage provided for 144,000 gallons of fuel.
The airfield was allocated for USAAF use in 1943. Its USAAF designation was Station 138, Station-ID "SN". At one stage, it was planned to add an air depot, known as Eccles on the northern side of the airfield, access being across the A11. Four additional T-2 hangars were constructed on this site. Apparently a reduction in the number of heavy bombers being sent to the UK led to this depot becoming surplus to Eighth Air Force
requirements and construction was stopped before all facilities were completed.
From 13 September 1943 though 18 June 1945, Snetterton Heath served as headquarters for the 45th Combat Bombardment Wing of the 3rd......