for Government House
) is the official residence
of the Governor of Sikkim
. It is located in the capital city of Gangtok
. The present governor of Sikkim is V. Rama Rao
History of the Building
The Chogyal of Sikkim had given a large piece of land measuring over to the British crown and the same was used by the British Political officer in Sikkim looking after the political affairs of Sikkim. Sir Claude White had been appointed as the First Political Officer to Sikkim on May 1888, his first assignment was to build a British house in Gangtok. In the year 1890 the Residency was completed. It took about eighteen months for completion.
On 16 May 1975, the beautiful home built by Sir Claude White became the Raj Bhavan
of Sikkim. In its previous designation as India House or "Baara Khoti", it had been rated as one of the India's best Ambassadorial residences - it would now qualify as India's most attractive Raj Bhavan. Sited well above the town and insulated from the noise and fumes of the bazaar, the classic gabled structure blends into the greenery and trees of the landscape and looks on the entire Kanchendzonga
The area of the compound is consisting of lawn and garden as well as kitchen garden and fruit orchards.
Major renovations, extensions and alterations were made in the office of the Governor, library and waiting room in 2003 and 2004 when His Excellency Shri. V. Rama Rao took office.