Raja Balwant Singh College
is located at Bichpuri, Agra
, Uttar Pradesh
. The college is affiliated to Uttar Pradesh Technical University
and Dr. B.R. Ambedkar Open University
Established in 1885, Raja Balvant Singh College owes its existence to Raja Balwant Singh Ji of Awagarh
who enabled the institution to grow as one of the oldest and biggest colleges of Uttar Pradesh.
Raja Balwant Singh College, formerly known as Balwant Rajput College, was started with the help of Raja Balwant Singh of Awagarh Estate, Etah, Uttar Pradesh. It started in 1878 as Rajput Boarding House for education and upliftment of Rajputs of India. In 1885, it was upgraded as Balwant Rajput High School with Col. Dobson and Sir E.H. Forsyth as headmasters, and Rajput community given preference.
Balwant Educational Society was created to safeguard the interests of the institution. Raja Sahib insisted that the president of the society will always be the District Judge of Agra, and that the Civil Surgeon of Agra and District Inspector of Schools, Agra would be its permanent members out of the 21 members.
Dr. S.C. Sircar, homeopath, was its first Indian headmaster. In about 1939, Dr. R.K. Singh took over as principal of the Intermediate College. He started its expansion and in 1941 Balwant Rajput Intermediate College was the first in Uttar Pradesh to have faculties of Arts, Commerce, Science, and Agriculture.
An education wing was started and within two years it was raised to postgraduate... Read More