() is a village in Parner taluka
of Ahmednagar District
state in western India
. It is located at a distance of 87 km from Pune
. The village has an area of 982.31 ha (1991). It is considered a model of environmental conservation
. Since 1975, led by the noted social activist Anna Hazare
, the village has carried out programs like treeplanting
to reduce soil erosion
and digging canals
to retain rainwater. For energy, the village uses solar power
(some generated from the communal toilet
) and a windmill
.The project began in 1975, therefore is 36 years old now. It is a sustainable model of a village republic.
The village's biggest accomplishment is in non-conventional energy. For example, all the village streets are lit by solar lights. Each light has a separate solar panel.
The village had 394 households and a population of 2306 in 2001 (male 1265 and female 1041).
In 1975 the village was afflicted by drought
, poverty prevailed, and illicit liquor trade was widespread. The village tank
could not hold water as the embankment dam
wall leaked. Work began with the percolation
tank construction. Hazare encouraged the villagers to donate their labor to repair the embankment. Once this was fixed, the seven wells below filled with water in the summer for the first time in memory.
Now the village has... Read More