Ramakrishna Mission Ashrama, Narendrapur
is a branch of Ramakrishna Mission
. The institute has its services open to all irrespective of caste, creed and nationality, its special field being education. Started in North Calcutta (Pathuriaghata
, immediately after the Bengal Famine of 1943
, it first served as a home for the poor and for orphan boys. Since its relocation in 1957 to its present site in the southern suburbs of Kolkata
, near Garia
, it has grown into a huge complex. It has more than 2,000 resident students and occupies about of land dotted with flower gardens, green fields, mango groves and lakes.
RKM Narendrapur is dedicated to work for the underprivileged section of the society.
The Narendrapur Ramakrishna Mission is administered by monks of the Ramakrishna
movement. English is the medium of instruction; the college is open to male students only.
The college used to house higher secondary section (affiliated to West Bengal Council of Higher Secondary Education
) in the past, but now this section has moved to the Vidyalaya (which used to have the secondary section only). Presently it has two sections: the undergraduate and Masters.
There are 3 hostels for the college students:
- Brahmananda Bhavan
- Gouranga Bhavan
- Ramakrishnananda Bhavan
Swami Suparnananda, known as Satyada
, is the principal of the college,who also holds the honorary post of Secretary of the Ashrama. The faculty of science include departments of Physics,... Read More